The Memento Wiki
This wiki is under development. As such, it will just stop in some places, generally with red links indicating pages yet to be written. You may also encounter pages that display an "UNDER DEVELOPMENT" note at the top. We recommend you wait until the message goes away before reading, as it might be erroneous.
While most aspects of Memento are common between the Mobile and Desktop editions, this wiki (generally) contains only information about the Mobile edition of Memento. Each page shows at the top of the page the version of the Mobile edition current as of the most recent change to the page. It also shows the version number of the Desktop edition current as of that date. Note the Help accessible within the app and from Help on the MementoDatabase.com Web site. Memento Help contains assistance for both the Mobile and Desktop editions.
An index to the pages of the wiki may be accessed via the following Index in the form of a table containing links to Wiki pages grouped vertically by topic and horizontally by the columns of Overviews, Specifications, Techniques, Tips, How, & Tutorials. Use the Index & wiki links throughout the wiki to navigate around among the pages of the wiki.
Where do I start with Memento?
To start at the beginning, read the Memento Overview.
Read Library Overview about Memento's primary data structure.
The Field Overview will get you started on the elements of data structure within libraries. Then, read in the Index, using Overviews as needed, and Articles, Tips, How-to, and Techniques to learn whether you need it. Use specifications to look up Memento components as needed.
Advanced users, use the Index below to navigate in Memento.
The wiki is continually under development, so stay tuned for more articles about Memento and its use.
Read more about this wiki.
Within Specifications (or Specs), begin with User Interface for descriptions of screens, cards, menus, buttons, dialogs, etc.
Bill's mementos, tutorials, & examples
See Guidance:Bill's mementos & Guidance:Bill's tutorials (under development) for periodic mementos — a wiki-based blog by Bill Crews on the use of Memento Database — Bill's swan song, if you will. Mementos will be of various types:
- Magazine-style articles on topics related to use of Memento Database
- Articles illustrating brief but useful ways in Memento Database to accomplish something
- examples of the use of Memento and its customization via scripting.
Unlike before the wiki, nowadays the Memento app has some Help within the app, developed by LuckyDroid. You can access it right next to where you access the wiki. The Help is oriented less for Power Users than the wiki and more for general users and beginners.
Previous, obsolete documentation (erroneous & misleading)
Previous Memento documentation has been subsumed within the wiki. It is listed here for reference, but its content has not been updated in quite a while and is not likely to be updated going forward.
Its content is now obsolete.
The Memento Database Desktop Version
Please be aware that this section is currently under development.
Core functions of Memento Database are available not only from the mobile app but from the Desktop Edition for Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The libraries created in Desktop Edition are synced via Memento Cloud and so are available on all devices you use.
The Memento Database Desktop edition is a perfect compliment to the Mobile edition. I started with the mobile app and have never looked back. With now over 25 libraries created I can store, manipulate, and manage my personal and small business data in real time, by using either edition.
This section is dedicated to the Desktop edition; however, when appropriate we will identify Desktop features that are different and/or not available in the Mobile edition.
Desktop Edition Welcome Page
Once you launch Memento Database Desktop, you get access to all libraries created from your account and the ones shared with you.
The Welcome page helps you choose where to start:
- New Library- create a new Library from scratch and adjust each and every field manually.
- Recent- manage libraries already created
- Help - find answers to your questions on "Getting Started, Setting up Libraries, Working with data, Reports, Teamwork.
Main window interface
All features of Memento Database Desktop version are available from the main window. It consists of these logical parts:
- Title bar - located at the top of the window. Your version of Memento Database and user name is displayed on the left. To the right you will find the familiar minimize, maximize, and close buttons
- Menu bar - appears as text directly below the Title bar. Here one can choose “File”, “Account”, and “Help”. Selecting one of these items presents an additional drop down menu of additional commands and information.
- Sidebar - appears on the left side of the screen. Here one can navigate through the My libraries folder and the Shared with me folder. Perform a search for entries in a specific library and/or all libraries. Perform a search and download a Catalog template.
- Status bar - located in the bottom left corner of the screen shows the notifications about Memento Database cloud usage. For example 127 MB (0%) of 20GB.
- Workspace - the workspace is all the area inside the window to the right of the Sidebar. The workspace changes depending on your selection in the Sidebar.
Customizing the window interface
There are two options to customize Memento’s window interface. Bootstrap theme or Classic theme. To choose your theme, select “Help” from the Menu bar, scroll down to “Theme”.